The Mercury offers information and enjoyable each single day—however your assist is crucial. When you imagine Portland advantages from sensible, native journalism and humanities protection, please contemplate making a small monthly contribution, as a result of with out you, there isn’t any us. Thanks to your help!
Good afternoon, Portland! Beginning tomorrow, the solar will set after 5 pm, which signifies that very quickly, us elder millennials who’ve a tough time driving at night time will really feel comfy driving to the grocery retailer after dinner. Let’s have a look at what different excellent news is on the market, mkay?
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• As reported by our personal Isabella Garcia, the success of Oregon’s Measure 110, which decriminalized possession of small quantities of some medication and would supply funding for dependancy remedy, has been onerous to quantify attributable to poor (or nonexistent) reporting metrics. Look, this abstract is absolute rubbish in comparison with Isabella’s reporting so just go read the whole thing.
• Oregon Well being & Sciences College’s primate analysis middle leads the nation in Animal Welfare Act violations. According to OPB, workers had beforehand petitioned for higher management and stated that they have been subjected to unhealthy working situations, which resulted within the deaths and accidents of animals of their care. As any individual upon whom the 1995 catastrophe film Outbreak closely imprinted, I do not love figuring out that the oldsters operating viral analysis on monkeys in our city aren’t operating a decent ship!
• In accordance with the Oregonian, Seal will bring his 30th anniversary national tour to Portland in June. After all of the wild marine mammal news of the previous couple of days, it for actual took me a minute to appreciate this was about Seal, the beloved singer of “Kiss by a Rose,” and never one other aquatic animal-related concern.
Let’s go, smarty butt! 🤓 It is time to play the brand new version of POP QUIZ PDX. This week, see for those who can accurately reply questions on native exploding whales, mysterious disappearing beer fests, and… what ARE we going to do together with your useless physique? 💀https://t.co/uSOK1GMOIx
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) January 19, 2023
• From our buddies at The Stranger: Seattle’s democratic socialist metropolis council individual Kshama Sawant will not be seeking reelection and intends to begin a brand new marketing campaign known as “Staff Strike Again.” She penned an op-ed for The Stranger during which she holds nothing again and names names, together with some DSA darlings. It is politics, it is tea, it is worth a read.
• President Joe Biden is sending almost a billion dollars to western states like ours who’ve fallen into the nasty behavior of bursting into flames each summer time. Hope that money is flame-resistant! Ha ha.
Like FREE stuff? Then enter to win FREE TIX to see the HUMP! movie pageant and/or the heavy steel mania of Lacuna Coil on this week’s Mercury FREE TICKETS THURSDAY! 🤑https://t.co/xYTcoU2cQs pic.twitter.com/SgK03SrLPt
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) January 19, 2023
IN NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• The Supreme Court docket had been investigating who leaked Justice Alito’s opinion overturning Roe v. Wade, and in a balm to a weary nation already distrustful of their authorities, immediately they launched their findings, which have been: “we dunno.” Cool. We undoubtedly belief them extra now!
• I do belief her although. Smoke ’em, Liz:
Maintain on: Home Republicans desire a nationwide 30% gross sales tax on the whole lot from groceries to gasoline? They wish to elevate taxes on working-class & middle-class households whereas slashing them for millionaires & billionaires?
Are they TRYING to point out precisely how out of contact they’re?
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) January 19, 2023
• U.S. union membership charges have reached an all-time low. What’s slightly complicated is that whereas the variety of Individuals in unions has grown, the workforce has additionally grown, making union members a smaller slice of the pie. Come on now, comrades! Do not you need assured raises and sick depart and well being advantages? Get organized!
• The Virginia trainer who was shot two weeks in the past by a 6-year-old scholar has been released from the hospital. The coed’s household launched their first assertion because the taking pictures occurred during which they reward the trainer’s caring for his or her son. It is all very unhappy.
• Musician David Crosby of The Byrds and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Younger passed away today on the age of 81. His Wikipedia page is a experience and I actually suggest opening that window and putting it in entrance of no matter work you are pretending to do at your job proper now. He had this to say about dying solely yesterday:
I heard the place is overrated….cloudy https://t.co/Bpl7pM9k7s
— David Crosby (@thedavidcrosby) January 18, 2023
• It is doable to be each towards the American system of mass incarceration whereas additionally blissful that the horrible San Francisco man who turned his hose on a homeless individual has been arrested.
• Chrissy Tiegen and John Legend shared that their third child, a woman named Esti, has been born. Mazel!
• I am unsure this actually counts as “information,” however the good minds of Go Fug Your self put collectively a career fashion retrospective of beloved stoner actor Seth Rogen and I feel extra folks must know that he is been trying like a complete smokeshow currently.
• I choose the main with the basic “so then I says to Mabel, I says” however this may work too:
“Splish splash I used to be taking a shower” can be an insane option to begin an precise story.
— Noah Garfinkel (@NoahGarfinkel) January 18, 2023